This service is an extension of the regular Debian LTS support already managed by Debian contributors funded by Freexian with the money collected among many sponsors. Subscribing to LTS at a silver level (2040 EUR / 6 months) is a pre-requisite to be able to join the Extended LTS service.
To make Extended LTS possible and sustainable, there are supplementary restrictions compared to regular LTS:
- we support only the packages used by the sponsors
- we provide updates for a limited set of architectures
- For Debian 8: amd64, i386 and armel
- we don’t support the Linux kernel
Each sponsor provides the list of packages that they want to see supported. Freexian makes an estimation of the workload (and thus cost) associated to each of those packages. The cost of each package is split among all the sponsors that are using this package.
Sponsors are invoiced bi-yearly for the exact amount needed to support their packages. The amount will vary as sponsors are leaving (or joining) the program. Each sponsor defines a cost limit for each semester and/or a time limit (indicating for how long they plan to use the service).
Debian 8 Jessie support
Not all packages can be supported by our ELTS offering:
- packages that have already been marked as unsupported by the Debian security/LTS teams are not supported: see list in git repository
- linux: we don’t provide security support for Linux 3.16 in Jessie but we will continue to provide a backport of Linux 4.9 (coming from Debian 9) that should work in Debian 8
- libav will not be supported
- openjdk-7 will not be supported, but we will maintain an openjdk-8 backport.
- mariadb-10.0: it’s EOL at the upstream level
- tomcat7: we can only support it until March 2021 (date of upstream EOL)